[ltp] Memory management

Robert Munro linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Sun, 11 Mar 2001 19:47:59 -0800

Chris,

Here's how to tell Linux to use all your memory.  Let's assume you have
97228k
as you noted during install.  (96M is 98304k, but some is often
reserved, so
97228k sounds about right.)  Use the lower of the power-on post count
and this.

Backup lilo.conf:  cp /etc/lilo.conf /etc/lilo.conf.bak before you
change it.

Edit /etc/lilo.conf to add the line:  append=" mem=97228k" (note the
space) at
the end of each image= group.

Then run lilo to complete the setup.  That's all there is to it.  Linux
should
use all your memory.  Maybe then it won't seem slower than Win98
anymore.  ;-)

If it crashes, boot from diskette, restore the old file, rerun lilo, try
again.

Regards,
Robert Munro
IBM Global Services