[ltp] Sound problems on A21m

Mike Johnson linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Tue, 13 Mar 2001 15:12:42 +0100

On Tuesday 13 March 2001 09:38, Kevin James wrote:
> Hello all,
>
>     I just got a new TP A21m and installed RedHat 7.0 on it. Everything
> went smoothly (well, except I don't think the modem works, but the ethernet
> does and that's all that matters) except for the sound. So after looking
> around a bit I found out that I had to disabled Power Bus Management in the
> BIOS and add a thinkpad=1 to the arguments for loading the module.
>     So now my Crystal Soundfusion works, except it plays WAV files way too
> fast, and the sound is a LOT quieter than when I boot my Windows partition.

James, I don't know what kernel version you are using but I had lots of
problems with poor sound (popping and crackling) when I initially installed
Mandrake 7.2 on my thinkpad A20p. (Kernel 2.2.17-21mdk)

I switched to the latest vanilla 2.2.18 kernel.

Firstly I tried the built in CS46xx driver. That locked my machine solid when
the kernel tried to initialise the sound card. Then I compiled up the latest
ALSA drivers and used them instead. Result? Perfect sound under KDE.
I am currently sitting here listening to some music via mpg123 and it sounds
perfect!

Regards,

Mike.