[ltp] Sound problems on A21m

Manuel Teira linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Tue, 13 Mar 2001 21:16:35 +0100

On Tuesday 13 March 2001 09:38, you wrote:
> Hello all,
>
>     I just got a new TP A21m and installed RedHat 7.0 on it. Everything
> went smoothly (well, except I don't think the modem works, but the ethernet
> does and that's all that matters) except for the sound. So after looking
> around a bit I found out that I had to disabled Power Bus Management in the
> BIOS and add a thinkpad=1 to the arguments for loading the module.
The modem works for me using the binary driver from Lucent.

>     So now my Crystal Soundfusion works, except it plays WAV files way too
> fast, and the sound is a LOT quieter than when I boot my Windows partition.

I've also tested the OSS driver (from kernel 2.4.2-ac16) and the ALSA
drivers. The sound is really noisy under the OSS driver and also under the
0.9 ALSA version. Under 0.5 ALSA drivers it works more or less (not
perfectly). And when the modem turns on, the sound is more noisy.

>     I notice most other people on the list are using the ALSA drivers,
> whereas I'm using the CS46xx drivers which were detected on install, so I'm
> wondering if that would be the problem, but I also noticed that Thomas Hood
> said that IRQ 9 is reserved, and according to Win2000, my sound card is
> using IRQ 9... however, if it's PnP, shouldn't Linux be able to reconfigure
> this on startup? and if not, is there some way I can do it?
Mine is using IRQ 11 (under 2.4.2-ac16).

Best Regards.