[ltp] LILO problems

Jim Eberhardt linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Tue, 13 Mar 2001 22:47:01 -0600

Thanks for all your suggestions, they were quite helpful. I'm up and
running again. Here's what happened.

I reset the MBR using 'fdisk /mbr' in DOS, then rebooted using my rescue
disk. I reran LILO and when I rebooted it started up in Win95 (?). I went
back and looked at my lilo.conf and found I had set 'boot=/dev/hda2'
instead of 'boot=/dev/hda'. A silly but subtle error. Changing that and
rerunning LILO caused the system to boot up just fine.

As an aside, I've of course heard of the 1024 limit for boot information on
a hard disk. Showing my hardware ignorance, is this cylinders or sectors?
The new 6.4 GB drive has (I believe) 867 cylinders, but has millions of
sectors (per cfdisk). Putting all the boot info into the first 1024
cylinders would be automatic, and near impossible for the first 1024 sectors.

Thanks again for the help,
Jim