[ltp] Warning -- Windows can hose your machine!

George Staikos linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Fri, 16 Mar 2001 05:05:54 -0500

On Friday 16 March 2001 04:34, D. Sen wrote:
> "Only windows is supported on a machine that came preloaded with windows"
>
> This is concerning and annoying. Recently, my hard drive started emitting
> loud clicking noises along with a number of "hda.." notices on the syslog.
> It was obviously on its way out. When I called IBM support they basically
> said that unless I could prove using DOS/Windows diagnostic tools that the
> drive was faulty they wouldnt do anything about it (since the machine came
> preloaded with windows). The diagnostic tool that came preloaded with
> windows failed to find a problem. Another tool that they recommended
> crashed prematurely (without producing any diagnostic data). After about
> the fourth call to support, I finally managed to convince them that the
> second program should not be crashing if the hard-drive was fine (I
> happened to have an older thinkpad with two hard disks where the program .

  I had that _exact_ problem with my i1460.  I called support and they
replaced the drive.  Now it doesn't happen as often, but it still happens
from time to time (rarely).  It was so loud that the support guy could hear
it over the phone!  I am forced to reboot when this does happen.  The hard
disk just stops accessing altogether.  I do believe it happened in Windows at
least once as well.  However I boot windows so rarely that I have no hope of
reproducing it there.

--

George Staikos