[ltp] X freezing

Tzonkov, Alex linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Mon, 19 Mar 2001 08:37:35 -0800

Well I do mount a volume using smbmount and do leave it idle for a while. Is
there a known problem with smbmount? I am pretty new to Linux , how can I
check to see that there are no IRQ problems?

-----Original Message-----
From: Greg Cook [mailto:p15gc.md.ltp@bbqd.org]
Sent: Saturday, March 17, 2001 9:52 PM
To: linux-thinkpad@bm-soft.com
Subject: Re: [ltp] X freezing

It may be wise to avoid having SMB volumes mounted and left idle
for long periods.  I don't really know what locks up X on mine
but processes stumm when accessing the network drive after an idle period
and at 9 crashes out of 10 I realise I hadn't umounted the drive.  Server
timeout I suppose, I don't really care as I won't be using it in a few
months.

Yes it's very annoying not being able to switch out of X to look for
any error messages.  At least Fn+F4 still beeps.  Suspending may
offer a chance to recover if I can persuade it to.

Greg
---
/dog at look {/dog run} see /run dup dup