[ltp] SuSE 7.1 on a TP 600

Markus Alt linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Tue, 20 Mar 2001 16:32:27 +0100

Friedemann Baitinger wrote:

> I have just installed a SuSE 7.1 on a friend's TP 600 on a fresh new
> disk. I have selected XFree-4.0.2 and sax2 was instantly able to create
> a good XF86Config file, well at least at a first glance. Later I found
> out that I could not switch to any text console and I could also not
> terminate X and get a console back. Does this ring a bell here in this
> community? Are there any hints what could be done in this situation?

Friedemann,

IIRC a colleague had a similar behaviour on his T21. The problem was
that the screen expansion via <Fn><F8> was turned on when booting. This
results in a larger font on the text consoles and the text spanning
almost the whole screen.

I can reproduce this on my machine (on which I usually don't use that
screen expansion) by switching from X to a text console, pressing
<Fn><F8> (-> bigger font), switching back to X and again to a text
console: The screen is blank.

When I turn on this screen expansion while booting and switch from X to
a text console after the system has reached runlevel 5, I have a blank
screen as you described.

So I think you should check if that screen expansion feature is turned
on on your friend's TP. BTW, I disabled "HV Expansion" in the "Display"
section of my TP's BIOS config menu, but this seems to have no effect
regarding the way <Fn><F8> works.

HTH,
Markus