[ltp] Re: Another one bites the dust

Tue, 20 Mar 2001 11:41:25 -0800

On Tue, Mar 20, 2001 at 02:12:16PM -0500, Alan Shutko wrote:
> Bill Mair <bill.mair@bm-soft.com> writes:
>
> > This will really be a problem as the newer versions of Linux start
> > rolling out with 2.4.x kernels, and people wanting (trying) packages
> > like LM-Sensors.
>
> What's the interaction with 2.4 kernels?  (I.e, what should we avoid
> when compiling one?)  I've been running various 2.4 kernels on my A20p
> for at least a month without a problem, though I'm mostly using the
> same stuff I was using in 2.2.

As far as Lm_sensors is concerned, the I2C half of the project is
currently integrated into 2.4.x.  However, the Lm_sensors half is
planned for integration for 2.5.x.  Again, though, this doesn't mean a
lot until we get an idea of exactly what is causing I2C/Lm_sensors use
to kill some Thinkpads.  I'm optimistic that it is a very simple fix
(like avoiding the address of the firmware eeprom during detection).

Phil

--
Philip Edelbrock -- IS Manager -- Edge Design, Corvallis, OR
   phil@netroedge.com -- http://www.netroedge.com/~phil