[ltp] Re: Another one bites the dust

Ken Firestone linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Tue, 20 Mar 2001 15:26:04 -0500 (EST)

OK, so until this is sorted out should Thinkpad owners avoid 2.4?

Or is there some workaround?

I would like to know before I accidently destroy an out of warrenty
Thinkpad 240.

Thanks.

On Tue, 20 Mar 2001 phil@netroedge.com wrote:

  On Tue, Mar 20, 2001 at 02:12:16PM -0500, Alan Shutko wrote:
  > Bill Mair <bill.mair@bm-soft.com> writes:
  >
  > > This will really be a problem as the newer versions of Linux start
  > > rolling out with 2.4.x kernels, and people wanting (trying) packages
  > > like LM-Sensors.
  >
  > What's the interaction with 2.4 kernels?  (I.e, what should we avoid
  > when compiling one?)  I've been running various 2.4 kernels on my A20p
  > for at least a month without a problem, though I'm mostly using the
  > same stuff I was using in 2.2.

  As far as Lm_sensors is concerned, the I2C half of the project is
  currently integrated into 2.4.x.  However, the Lm_sensors half is
  planned for integration for 2.5.x.  Again, though, this doesn't mean a
  lot until we get an idea of exactly what is causing I2C/Lm_sensors use
  to kill some Thinkpads.  I'm optimistic that it is a very simple fix
  (like avoiding the address of the firmware eeprom during detection).

  Phil

  --
  Philip Edelbrock -- IS Manager -- Edge Design, Corvallis, OR
     phil@netroedge.com -- http://www.netroedge.com/~phil