[ltp] Re: Another one bites the dust

Manuel Teira linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Tue, 20 Mar 2001 21:38:14 +0100

On Tue 20 Mar 2001 21:26, you wrote:
> OK, so until this is sorted out should Thinkpad owners avoid 2.4?
I think that the kernel I2C support is not hurting your Thinkpad by itself.
At least if they are compiled as modules. You need to activate this support
using it through LM_Sensors.

If the kernel is compiled by yourself, you may avoid configuring the I2C
support.

On the other hand, a distribution ready kernel could include support for the
I2C. And probably in short, the I2C package could be part of a stardar
instalation.

> Or is there some workaround?

I think that the best solution is that IBM or the LM-Sensors developers get
this mistake fixed.

> I would like to know before I accidently destroy an out of warrenty
> Thinkpad 240.
Use only kernels compiled by you, The config file must read:
# CONFIG_I2C is not set

Probably this way, the LM-Sensors package won't run in any way.

Best regards.

--
Manuel Teira