[ltp] XF86Config on T20 for 24bpp

Shingo Tamaru linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Fri, 23 Mar 2001 15:45:06 -0500

Hi, folks.

I would like to ask for your advice about X server setup on my
ThinkPad T20.

First of all, my linux system is as follows

  ThinkPad T20 2647-41U
  Windows 2000 on fat32 + BigSlack (fat version of slackware-7.1)
  XFree86-3.3.6 patched for Savage

I have been using this TP quite happily.
X has been working well at 32bpp. The display was very beautiful
with this full color depth.

I recently tried to invoke a Cadence cad tool used for designing
integrated circuits in my course work. However, the Cadence tool
requires 8 or 24bpp color depth and crashes when kicked off under
16 or 32 bpp.

I tried to start X server on my T20 with different color depth.
I successfully started X with 8, 16 and 32 bpp with 'startx -bpp xx'
(xx is one of 8, 16 32) but X crashes with -bpp 24. So I could have
been launched the Cadence cad tool with only 8bpp color depth. With
this depth, the display looks quite crappy.

Does anybody know how to start the X server with 24bpp color depth
on T20? I would appreciate if you give me any info. about that.
I attached my /etc/XF86Config file below for reference.

Thanks in advance!
Shingo

# XF86Config auto-generated by XF86Setup
#
# Copyright (c) 1996 by The XFree86 Project, Inc.

#
# Permission is hereby granted, free of charge, to any person obtaining a
# copy of this software and associated documentation files (the "Software"),
# to deal in the Software without restriction, including without limitation
# the rights to use, copy, modify, merge, publish, distribute, sublicense,
# and/or sell copies of the Software, and to permit persons to whom the
# Software is furnished to do so, subject to the following conditions:
#
# The above copyright notice and this permission notice shall be included in
# all copies or substantial portions of the Software.
#
# THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR
# IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY,
# FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NONINFRINGEMENT.  IN NO EVENT SHALL
# THE XFREE86 PROJECT BE LIABLE FOR ANY CLAIM, DAMAGES OR OTHER LIABILITY,
# WHETHER IN AN ACTION OF CONTRACT, TORT OR OTHERWISE, ARISING FROM, OUT OF
# OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE SOFTWARE OR THE USE OR OTHER DEALINGS IN THE
# SOFTWARE.
#
# Except as contained in this notice, the name of the XFree86 Project shall
# not be used in advertising or otherwise to promote the sale, use or other
# dealings in this Software without prior written authorization from the
# XFree86 Project.
#

# See 'man XF86Config' for info on the format of this file

Section "Files"
   RgbPath    "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/rgb"
   FontPath   "tcp/localhost:7100"
EndSection

Section "ServerFlags"
EndSection

Section "Keyboard"
   Protocol        "Standard"
   XkbRules        "xfree86"
   XkbModel        "pc101"
   XkbLayout       "us"
EndSection

Section "Pointer"
   Protocol        "PS/2"
   Device          "/dev/mouse"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
   Identifier      "Primary Monitor"
   VendorName      "Unknown"
   ModelName       "Unknown"
   HorizSync       31.5-82.0
   VertRefresh     40-100
   Modeline  "1024x768"  115.50 1024 1056 1248 1440 768 771 781 802 -hsync -vsync
EndSection

Section "Device"
   Identifier      "Primary Card"
   VendorName      "Unknown"