[ltp] Partition mistake?

Tino Keitel linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Sat, 24 Mar 2001 13:20:24 +0100

On Friday, 16. March 2001 14:59, chris christensen wrote:
> I just repartitioned the drive in my TP600 to allow more space for windows
> ( okay gimme grief), It is a 12 gig drive and I had set under 2 gigs for
> windows, and had some unused partions that I was saving for another distro
> of Linux. After I installed Mandrake the boot up went fine thru Grub, but
> when Linux started to load it hangs after a message
> " Partition check:
>  hda: general protection fault: 0000
> CPU:  0
> EIP;   0010; [<C0128362>]
> EFLAGS : 00010286
> with many numeric messages to follow and a final line
> Code: 8b 21 39 68 04 75 f3  and so on.

The problem is not a damaged boot loader (grub) because the kernel loads
successfully but fails at the partition check. It looks like the partition
table of you hda is broken in some way that the kernel can't handle it and
crashes (which also indicates that there is a bug in the kernel, it shouldn't
crash just because of a broken partition table).

If you have a backup of your partition table (can be created using
/sbin/fdisk -l) you can restore your partition table. But that's only for
expert use I think.

Tino