[ltp] Ethernet card!!!

Tino Keitel linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Sat, 24 Mar 2001 13:09:55 +0100

On Saturday, 24. March 2001 01:59, Stefano Gambarč wrote:
> Hi all,
> I purhased a 10/100Mbit Ethernet card (chipset ASIX AX88190), on the box
> are the write linux compatible, but when I put it in PCMCIA and try to
> configure it, I miss!!!!
>
> Maybe I do some mistake.......someone can help me????
>
> Use mandrake 7.2, kernel 2.2.17-21mdk, pcmcia-cs-3.1.25, and with the card
> there is a Cd with the driver.....but when I try to compile it (rtl8139.c)
> i have some lines write on the screen with some problem........but at the
> end seems that all is right!!
>
> Help me thanks.....have someone have a card with the chipset working on his
> laptop???
>
> Can that person explained me the right (detailed) procedure to use it???
>
> Thanks
>

> Stefano

I strongly suggest you to read the documentation of the PCMCIA package.

from "BUGS":

"o NE2000 compatible cards based on the Asix AX88190 are unsupported"

"o A number of "NE2000 compatible" cards use the Asix AX88190 chipset,
  which has several serious bugs and incompatibilities that render the
  regular pcnet_cs driver unusable.  The pcnet_cs driver will identify
  and refuse to deal with these cards."

from "CHANGES":

"-- Updated pcnet_cs driver to reject AX88190 chipsets for now."

I tried a card using that chipset a while ago and got this message in my
syslog:

"pcnet_cs: sorry, the AX88190 chipset is not supported."

Tino