TP 240 HDD (was: [ltp] Suse 7.1)

Crispin Cowan linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Mon, 26 Mar 2001 14:38:44 -0800

T Dale wrote:

> I understand what you're saying, and the 240 manual does diagram the
> location of the drive under a door on the bottom - held in place apparently
> by one screw - there is no mention of it being user-removable or directions
> given for such. Because of that, I tend to think that removing it might void
> the warranty. At this point, I'm already worried that I'm pressing my luck
> by sending it in with a Win98 / Suse Linux dual-boot config that was not the
> pre-installed configuration.
>
> If anyone has any direct experience with this, I'd appreciate hearing about
> it.

My only direct experience was with a Toshiba.  In that case, it was the Toshiba
service rep who pulled the drive for me, while he was selling me the $10
bracket to allow me to put the dirve in a desktop for the interim.

If you're concerned about the warranty implications of opening the case, then
it may be worth your time to drive/walk the machine to your nearest IBM service
rep. and let them do it.  Perhaps they'll sell you the bracket for desktop
installation, too.  This also obviates your concern about the Linux install on
your machine; it goes with the drive, and IBM service will just insert their
own factory drive.

Your hotmail.com address gives me relatively little :-) information about where
that might be.

Crispin

--
Crispin Cowan, Ph.D.