[ltp] A21p - Which Ether/Modem?

chris denesha linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Tue, 27 Mar 2001 21:44:44 -0500

Let's do some digging in my archives of this list...

Ok, this info is from others, as my A21m just came in, and I haven't tried
myself yet:

If you are going with the mini-PCI connections from IBM, stay away from
3COM because of the reasons Paul mentioned below.  Only the networking will
work.  Here is a link that supports this:

http://www2.neweb.ne.jp/wd/fbm/3c556/

I don't see much hard data, but the Intel mini-PCI network and modem should
work (it looks like the modem is a Xircom that works with Lucent winmodem
drivers).

However, if you are going with a PCMCIA card solution (which I suspect,
otherwise you probably would have purchased a Thinkpad model with the
mini-PCI network card already installed) there are solutions, including
3COM (which I usually choose if I have a choice) that are known to work.

Check out the Hardware Howto, section 27.10 MultiFunction Cards:

http://howto.tucows.com/LDP/HOWTO/Hardware-HOWTO.html#toc27

At another place in the same Howto it says this:

"All PCMCIA modems should work with the PCMCIA drivers"

hope this helps,

chris