[ltp] Suspend and Hibernate w/ RH7.1

John Morris linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Tue, 1 May 2001 12:58:40 -0500 (CDT)

On Thu, 26 Apr 2001, Brian Lalor wrote:

> Is anyone running RedHat 7.1 on their ThinkPad 600?  I previously had 7.0
> up and running, but upgraded, and now I'm finding that *sometimes* when I
> suspend or hibernate and then resume (usually a few hours later), the
> machine just locks up.  This is with kernel 2.4.2.  There's nothing in the
> logs to speak of...

I'm still using 7.0.91 and I have a TP570E instead, but I have a couple of
similar issues.  I found that APM and hdparm don't play nice together. The
initscripts have started doing hdparm so go look in
/etc/sysconfig/harddisk* and make sure the ONLY thing that gets passed to
hdparm is -u1.  That option seems to be usable but NONE of the others are.
That said, the drive still seems to perform better than one would expect
from the output of hdparm -v /dev/hda so something odd is going on.  I get
about 4MB per second through the filesystem which is a bit fast for 16bit
polled IO.

Another problem I have is that if I suspend while connected to the mains I
can't resume unless I plug it back in.  It's consistent, bang all you want
on the keyboard and nothing happens until the AC is restored and then a
single touch of the FN key wakes it right back up.

--
John M.      http://www.beau.org/~jmorris        This post is 100% M$ Free!
Geek code 3.0:GCS C+++ UL++++$ P++ L+++ W++ N++ w--- Y+ 5+++ R tv- b++ e* r