[ltp] Re: Force removal of kernel module??

Leif Jonsson linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Wed, 02 May 2001 13:17:06 +0200

Alan Shutko wrote:
> Leif Jonsson <Leif.von.Jonsson@era-t.ericsson.se> writes:
>
> > What typically happens to me is that the soundcard module (cs46xx)
> > or network module (3c59x) hangs, often after apm (and yes I know I
> > should remove it with some apmscript =) and then I am sitting there
> > with no sound and/or network =P.
>
> By this time, the sound card is so hopelessly confused that a reboot
> is the only thing to help it anyway.  Even if you could remove the
> module somehow, it probably wouldn't be able to reinit.
>
> Yes, you should remove it with some apmscript.  If you know the right
> answer, why are you trying to find the wrong one?

Oviously I wasn't clear in that the soundcard or network card was
_just examples_ of modules I might want to remove, others could be
modules which doesn't even involve hardware or hardware that can be
reinitialized.

I hope _I_ answered _your_ question.

Regards
-Leif

--
Leif Jonsson, ERA/T/KA       mailto:Leif.von.Jonsson@era-t.ericsson.se
Ericsson Radio Systems       phoneto:+46(0)84047215