[ltp] Some bizarre sound card activity

Brandon Walters linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Sun, 06 May 2001 19:17:56 -0400

    I have an IBM A20m and have just installed the free version of
Caldera's OpenLinux, specifically edesktop 2.4.    I didn't have any of
the propretery system configuration or administrative tools that came
with the commercial package, so I looked around and decided to give ALSA
a try. I extracted, compiled, and installed the ALSA driver package and
did everything according to the mini-HOWTO and the documentation.  The
drivers were loaded with /sbin/modprobe (I also used modprobe with
snd-pcm-oss and snd-mixer-oss so I could have backward compatibility
with older linux sound systems).  I compiled and installed the utilities
package.  Then I used amixer to unmute just about every sound device
except MIC (I left it muted) and turned the volume levels on all those
devices to 100.  Everything looks like it should in /proc/asound.
Everything looked OK so I saved my settings with alsactl.  However, when
I tried running XMMS, some bizarre stuff started happening.
   First I tried playing an MP3 from my windows partition, but I noticed
that the music was slowed down by half and severly distorted. The
distortions were mostly high pitched.  I could definetely tell that the
song was playing somehow.  I tried using kmix to adjust the input gain
level, but the input gain level had no effect on the distortions.  Kmix
functions more or less - there are three devices though that have
adjustable soundbars but question marks as icons.  I can adjust the
volume of the distorted song with kmix as it is playing in XMMS.
   What could be going on here?  I used the CS461x ALSA drivers when
installing the modules (I have a crystal soundfusion sound card), so I
think that is OK.  There is a great deal of interference or distortion
during sound playing.  XMMS just seemed to be running slower - it would
take two or more seconds for the track timer to increment one second.
I've tried moving the MP3 files from the windows partition onto my home
directory on the ext2 partition, and to some degree this helped speed up
XMMS.  But the distortion was still there and XMMS was still running a
little bit slow.
  Now I know there are a good number of people out there who have IBM
thinkpads with the same sound card that I do and that they are able to
get it working under linux.    Is there an obvious solution to the ALSA
driver problem?  Is there another option for me, in terms of other
open/free drivers system to get my sound working on my A20m?  I have a
working knowledge of linux and am not afraid to get my hands dirty - but
I'm at a dead end.

-Brandon