[ltp] T21 -- RH 7.1 no MPEGs with xmms

Friedemann Baitinger linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Mon, 7 May 2001 11:38:00 +0200 (CEST)

On Sat, 5 May 2001, D. Sen wrote:

> Friedemann Baitinger wrote:
>
> > Do you still know which version supported the mpegs? I'd like to give it
> > a try to patch that version into the XFree86-4.0.3. I have also reported
> > this problem to Tim but never heard from him (Tim, are you still working
> > on this?) ever since. Development of the savage driver seems to be
> > 'stable' at version 1.1.15.
> >

> No, I dont. I would think it was around 1.1.11. I have versions going back to
> 1.1.13. Even if I could find an older version that doesnt have Xvideo support,
> I would be extremely reluctant to use it because of the scrolling hang bug in
> the older versions. I would much rather have a machine that stays up for weeks
> at a time than have mpeg support and have it hang every two days.

That is convincing. I never experienced this bug so perhaps I joined the
club at a later stage of the driver in question.

> Development of the savage driver seems to be stagnant since Feb 23rd. I assume
> its not high on Tim's priority.......which is a shame. Even a slightly modified
> version with the option of turning Xvideo off, would be of use.

Implementing a feature like Xvideo on/off seems to be something we could
develop ourselves without being experts in video chip programming.

> Keith Fretchette also seems to have gone quiet regarding the problem of having
> simultaneous CRT and CRT displays with the SXGA+ chips. Dont you hate it when
> your complaints seem to be reaching deaf ears?

I agree. And to complete the list of problems: Once in X you can't
switch to consoles anymore. More presicely, once you switch to any of
the consoles all you get is a black screen. The same is true when X is
terminated. I have just verified that this still happens on a freshly
installed RedHat 7.1.