[ltp] Recomendations on the "best" distribution for TP

Forrest English linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
07 May 2001 07:16:36 PDT

this is basicaly going to turn into a distro war.   to my knowledge, all
of the major distros, with the exception of mandrake run on thinkpads
just fine.  though i'd definitly add debian, slackware and mandrake to
your list of the main distributions.

On Mon, 7 May 2001 07:52:18 -0500, Cesar Morelos Zaragoza whispered to
the router:

!!Hi all,
!! I hope this is an on-topic question. I searched the archives but found
!! nothing on this.
!! I plan to buy a ThinkPad A21m soon, and I want to use it with Linux.
!! I am new to Linux, but I have some experience with Unix so I do not
mind
!! solving problems :-),
!! but on the other hand, I am looking to have a reliable machine I can
count
!! on for my work and
!! be productive.
!!=20
!! I've read a little about the main distributions (RedHat, SuSe,
Caldera), and
!! all of them seem OK.
!! Which would you recommend based on your experience with the ThinkPads?
!! Would installing a Server or Professional version of a given
distribution
!! give me advantages/disadvantages over
!! installing a Workstation or Desktop version?
!! Isn't having 20 -25 different possible distribution options somewhat
crazy?
!! (rhetorical question :-)
!! Any important tips about the ThinkPads/linux distribution I should
know
!! before I buy?
!! (BTW, IBM does not sell preloaded machines in Mexico, so I have to
choose)
!!=20
!! I will appreciate any opinions you can provide on this.
!! Thanks very much in advance,
!!=20
!! Regards.
!!=20
!! Cesar Morelos
!! Sander Integraci=F3n, SA de CV
!! e-mail: cmorelos@sander.com.mx
!!=20
!!=20
!! ----- The Linux ThinkPad mailing list -----
!! The linux-thinkpad mailing list home page is at:
!! http://www.bm-soft.com/~bm/tp_mailing.html
!!=20

--=20
Forrest English