[ltp] Recomendations on the "best" distribution for TP

Felix E. Klee linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Mon, 07 May 2001 18:59:27 +0200

Martin Fluch wrote:

> Debian. If you know already UNIX and like learning the beauty of a realy
> nicely packed and designed distribution. Debian is packed by voluntears
> and they don't have any schedules to obey, there is no presure by any
> marketing strategies to get this or that software into the new release,
> there is no presure to make a new release until a certain due date. And
> you can see that in the result, stable means _stable_. The text based
> installer Debian 2.2r3 (the most recent stable version) is really nice.
>
> Check their web site at http://www.debian.org

I too use Debian and I like it very much. However, the problem with the
current stable release (Potato) is that it doesn't include and support
Kernel 2.4 and XFree 4. I had to manually install both in order to get a
decent display driver and to get my PCMCIA modem working. This might not
be easy for a beginner to LINUX (even if you are a UNIX expert) and
therefore I would like to point out that there is a commercial dialect
of Debian, called Progeny Debian, which is created by a company founded
by Ian Murdock (the founder of Debian!). I have never installed this
distribution so far but as stated on www.progeny.com it does support
kernel 2.4 and Xfree 4. Perhaps you should try this one because it
includes the superior Debian packaging system and you might not waste
that much time trying to update your system with pieces from the
unstable branch of Debian.

Felix