[ltp] T21 -- RH 7.1 no MPEGs with xmms

D. Sen linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Mon, 07 May 2001 13:37:26 -0400

Friedemann Baitinger wrote:

> On Sat, 5 May 2001, D. Sen wrote:
>

> > Friedemann Baitinger wrote:
> >
> > > Do you still know which version supported the mpegs? I'd like to give it
> > > a try to patch that version into the XFree86-4.0.3. I have also reported
> > > this problem to Tim but never heard from him (Tim, are you still working
> > > on this?) ever since. Development of the savage driver seems to be
> > > 'stable' at version 1.1.15.
> > >

> > No, I dont. I would think it was around 1.1.11. I have versions going back to
> > 1.1.13. Even if I could find an older version that doesnt have Xvideo support,
> > I would be extremely reluctant to use it because of the scrolling hang bug in
> > the older versions. I would much rather have a machine that stays up for weeks
> > at a time than have mpeg support and have it hang every two days.
>
> That is convincing. I never experienced this bug so perhaps I joined the
> club at a later stage of the driver in question.

Well, according to Tim, only a very small percentage users experienced the problem.
I happened to be in that small percentage. You might not have been......so you might
be able to test out an older version just to test the hypothesis.....if nothing
else.

> > Development of the savage driver seems to be stagnant since Feb 23rd. I assume
> > its not high on Tim's priority.......which is a shame. Even a slightly modified
> > version with the option of turning Xvideo off, would be of use.
>
> Implementing a feature like Xvideo on/off seems to be something we could
> develop ourselves without being experts in video chip programming.

Yes, I wonder if moving libXv and libExt temporarily would disable Xvideo support.
I will try Dirk Husemann's suggestions of using VLC when I get home tonight (don't
carry the DVD player with me).

> > Keith Fretchette also seems to have gone quiet regarding the problem of having
> > simultaneous CRT and CRT displays with the SXGA+ chips. Dont you hate it when
> > your complaints seem to be reaching deaf ears?
> >

> I agree. And to complete the list of problems: Once in X you can't
> switch to consoles anymore. More presicely, once you switch to any of
> the consoles all you get is a black screen. The same is true when X is
> terminated. I have just verified that this still happens on a freshly
> installed RedHat 7.1.

Well, the latest BIOS seems to have improved the situation a bit with regard to this
bug. Markus Alt posted ( http://www.bm-soft.com/~bm/archives/200103/msg00170.html )
that he got better results by enabling screen expansion during boot time. This
helped until you connected an external monitor (at which point you couldnt get the
virtual consoles again). However, with the latest BIOS.......I have had the virtual
consoles up for a week.