[ltp] [Slightly OT] : VMware.

John Morris linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Mon, 7 May 2001 13:30:17 -0500 (CDT)

On Mon, 7 May 2001, sylvestre meininger wrote:

> I just read Michael Geary's post about VMware on the TP Mailing LIst and I
> have a rather simple question :
> The correct version of VMware will enable you to use Windows software under
> Linux. But do you actually need to have a MS operating system installed
> somewhere ? Or is VMware a true emulator ?

VMWare is a true emulator, but it doesn't emulate Windows.  It emulates a
Wintel computer, onto which you load whatever OS you want (within limits)
so you do need a copy of Windows.  While M$ might not like it, the license
which is probably stuck to the bottom of your laptop should allow you to
legally run that version inside the VMware session, but the recovery media
will not work since it is locked to Thinkpads only and the emulated PC
that VMWare presents to the install CD is a generic PC with a generic
Phoenix BIOS, AMD ethernet card and the wave half of a SB16.  So to be
legit you need a full install CD of the same OS version (close enough that
the serial number off the sticker works), or you need to get a whole new
license for a diffeent version.  If you plan to run multiple copies at the
same time in different emulated sessions, ask a copyright lawyer.

> Second, I heard something about another "emulator" which, from what I
> understood, was free. Does anything like this actually exist ?

There are several.  BOCHS is available for many platforms, does run almost
anything but since it emulated down to the CPU it is horribly slow.
plex86 is 'coming soon' at this point. I watch the progress, but they are
still happy they get stuff to start booting.  It will be some time before
they get a full set of hardware emulated in a usable fashion, but when
they do VMware is in trouble.  :)

Then there is WINE.  It is at the point where real apps can be run with
it, and RedHat integrates it into 7.1 where you can just type the path of
a .exe file and run it.  Lets give a great big huzzzah! to Corel for thier
assist on that one.  The WINE folks had been chasing M$ taillights for
years and never catching them until Corel decided to use it to port their
apps and pitched in some full time help to put them over the top.

--
John M.      http://www.beau.org/~jmorris        This post is 100% M$ Free!
Geek code 3.0:GCS C+++ UL++++$ P++ L+++ W++ N++ w--- Y+ 5+++ R tv- b++ e* r