[ltp] T21 -- RH 7.1 no MPEGs with xmms

Markus Alt linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Tue, 08 May 2001 00:18:08 +0200

Friedemann Baitinger wrote:

> On Mon, 7 May 2001, D. Sen wrote:
>
> > Friedemann Baitinger wrote:
> >
> > > I agree. And to complete the list of problems: Once in X you can't
> > > switch to consoles anymore. More presicely, once you switch to any of
> > > the consoles all you get is a black screen. The same is true when X is
> > > terminated. I have just verified that this still happens on a freshly
> > > installed RedHat 7.1.
> > >

> > Well, the latest BIOS seems to have improved the situation a bit with
> regard to this
> > bug. Markus Alt posted (
> http://www.bm-soft.com/~bm/archives/200103/msg00170.html )
> > that he got better results by enabling screen expansion during boot time.
> This
> > helped until you connected an external monitor (at which point you
> couldnt get the
> > virtual consoles again). However, with the latest BIOS.......I have had
> the virtual
> > consoles up for a week.
>
> Good point, I had seen Markus' posting but never followed up. I have now
> just tried both configurations "HV Expansion" Disabled and Enabled and
> guess what: With expansion _enabled_ I get the black screens and with
> expansion _disabled_ I can terminate X and find myself back on a working
> console. Of course it is a small console then but still better than just
> a black screen.

That's exactly what I meant in my posting back in March, but after
re-reading it, I think that maybe I haven't made myself that clear ...
:-/

BTW, I have the same effect when trying to watch MPEGs (using KDE's
media player "noatun" and also its predecessor "kaiman"). And IIRC, it
has worked some months ago, so it should be related to the Savage driver
version. (Meanwhile I'm also using 1.1.15 with XFree86 4.0.3 on SuSE
7.1.)

I may have older version of the driver on some of my backup tapes, so if
you are interested in getting them for testing, let me know.

As we are on the topic: There's also still that annoying behaviour of
the broken framebuffer virtual consoles when connecting an external
display and switching between X and the VCs. I hoped that this would be
solved someday, but as you already mentioned, development of the driver
seems to be stuck at the moment.

Markus