[ltp] Recomendations on the "best" distribution for TP

Mo DeJong linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Mon, 7 May 2001 16:03:50 -0700 (PDT)

On Mon, 7 May 2001, Vivek Dasmohapatra wrote:

> On 7 May 2001, Forrest English wrote:
>
> > this is basicaly going to turn into a distro war.   to my knowledge, all
>
> Not necessarily. All that was requested was our recommendations, as long
> as nobody starts taking things personally, or sniping, we should be
> perfectly capable of holding a civilised discussion. For the record, I'd
> suggest debian - the package management/general quality is superb, and
> staying current is trivially easy thanks to apt.

Just a quick FYI, the new Red Hat 7.1 release seems to install
quite well on my Thinkpad 770X. Earlier version of the
Red Hat distro had some real install problems on thinkpads,
so it is nice to be able to install with the GUI right
out of the box.

Mo DeJong
Red Hat Inc