[ltp] Recomendations on the "best" distribution for TP

Forrest English linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
07 May 2001 17:33:08 PDT

On Mon, 7 May 2001 23:57:54 +0100 (BST), Vivek Dasmohapatra whispered to
the router:

!!On 7 May 2001, Forrest English wrote:
!!
!! > this is basicaly going to turn into a distro war.	 to my knowledge,
all
!!
!! Not necessarily. All that was requested was our recommendations, as
long
!! as nobody starts taking things personally, or sniping, we should be
!! perfectly capable of holding a civilised discussion. For the record,
I'd
!! suggest debian - the package management/general quality is superb, and
!! staying current is trivially easy thanks to apt.
!!

i'm pleasently surprised that it hasn't gone the way i thought it would.
and also somewhat surprised at the sheer numbers of debian users on this
list.

to which, i add another.  i've had good luck running debian unstable on
my 600.  except for a weird x thing...

but, yes, apt is quite nice.  and i find debian a nice minimal system
perfectly suited to laptop use.

--
Forrest English
http://truffula.net