[ltp] Recomendations on the "best" distribution for TP

Steve Tell linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Tue, 8 May 2001 00:37:56 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 7 May 2001, Mo DeJong wrote:

> Just a quick FYI, the new Red Hat 7.1 release seems to install
> quite well on my Thinkpad 770X. Earlier version of the
> Red Hat distro had some real install problems on thinkpads,
> so it is nice to be able to install with the GUI right
> out of the box.

I'll second that, but for a TP 600e.  No qualms here about recommending RH
7.1 to either beginners (including the "IT" folks at work) or experts.

Only quirks so far:
- the RH sound configuration tool sndconfig doesn't work, but copying the
relevant lines from the old conf.modules into modules.conf gets sound
running.

- Getting APM suspend/resume working still requires a kernel recompile.

I've written up some detailed notes on how to configure and build a nice
"thinkpad kernel" RPM that installs easily.  I'll post them if there's
interest, but first can someone confirm that configuring with
	CONFIG_I2C_MAINBOARD=N
	CONFIG_SENSORS=N
(and commenting out the associated board- and sensor-specific lines)
is sufficient to prevent the lm-sensors tools from attempting to function,
thereby preventing any possibility of corrupting the thinkpad's EEPROM?

Steve

--
Steve Tell  tell@telltronics.org