[ltp] Recomendations on the "best" distribution for TP

Dean Hedin linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Tue, 8 May 2001 00:35:35 -0400

I wish all the distros would get the sound config/setup resolved.
(just had to get that off my chest!)

I was impressed with RedHat 7.1.  Nice to have a Laptop install
class.  I would like a seperate submenu after I select an install class
to even further trim the installation without having to select packages
individually.
(i.e, if I select laptop, I may not want printer or network support).

I see the lm-sensor issue as a "bug" in lm-sensors, not with any particular
distro.  BTW, this is not an issue with RH7.1 and the 600e so long as
you do not run it.  It's easy to see what happened here, KDE has the dependancy
of lm-sensors, and since most new motherboards have some sort of
built in health monitoring it was included.  We TP owners are just on the
edge of the bell curve.  So speak up and bitch to the lm-sensors author!

On the flip side, I like Mandrake on "non laptop" machines.  Although
it seems that the 8.0 release was rushed a bit.