[ltp] Recomendations on the "best" distribution for TP

Felix E. Klee linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Tue, 08 May 2001 18:45:42 +0200

Tino Keitel wrote:
> There are Debian potato packages for kernel 2.4. I use them and there are no
> problems. Look into the news section of http://www.debian.org.
I know.

> I also use
> XFree86 4.0.3 build from the source and installed to /usr/local/stow
> (apt-cache show stow for info).
There are also Xfree 4 packages for Potato.

However, a new user must know where the sources are and how to update
his system so that everything runs fine. In addition there are many more
packages one might need to update depending on hardware. For example,
recently I bought an ISDN card for my desktop and again, I had to
install packages from unstable and kernel modules from AVM (the
manufacturer of this card). Also, I believe it is not possible to
specify Reisser FS (which seems to many advantages over ext2fs from what
I've heard) as a file system when doing a standard Debian Potato
installation.

Felix