[ltp] Sound problems in TP600, RedHat 7.1

Brian Lalor linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Tue, 8 May 2001 11:48:19 -0700 (MST)

On Tue, 8 May 2001, Luis Antolín Cano wrote:

> Oh, rats!  I've tried also to buid the ALSA drivers but the compilation
> failed. Are you sure that the compiler is the cause?
> That is a very bad point (I'm a developer) and if it's
> true then I will begin to consider Debian instead of RedHat
> everybody tell very good things of Debian.

Don't know for sure if the compiler that comes with RH7.1's as broken as
that which comes with 7.0.  I was able to trace my problems with Alsa to
the kernel source and headers that comes with RH7.1 (2.4.2-2).  I removed
the kernel-source and kernel-headers packages (overriding dependency
errors), installed the pure source for 2.4.3 (which was available at the
time), and created the necessary symlinks to /usr/src/linux in
/usr/include.  I also installed gcc-2.95.3 in /usr/local.  The combination
of the two fixed my problems compiling alsa, but I suspect you'd do ok
with just the new kernel.

B r i a n  L a l o r                         blalor@hcirisc.cs.binghamton.edu
http://hcirisc.cs.binghamton.edu/~blalor     Spam me not.
   To get my pgp key, put "get pgp key" in the subject of your message

  Brain:  Pinky, are you pondering what I'm pondering?
  Pinky:  I think so, Brain, but this time, you put the trousers on the
          chimp.