[ltp] T21 Savage driver issues (Was: T21 -- RH 7.1 no MPEGs with xmms)

Markus Alt linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Tue, 08 May 2001 21:46:32 +0200

"D. Sen" wrote:

> Hmm Markus,
>
> Switching between X and VCs (running FB) seems to be much better with the
> latest
> BIOS.

Sorry, but upgrading to the latest BIOS version 1.5 (KZET23WW) didn't
help - at least for me. :-( I still have the same weird behaviour as
before:

- VC screen is blank when switching back from X in case the screen
expansion <Fn><F8> was turned on at boot time. (The problem Friedemann
had.)

- When booting with "<mykernelname> vga=792" or "<mykernelname>
vga=795", i.e. a 1024x768 or 1280x1024 FB console and an external
monitor attached, all looks ok. But after switching from CRT to LCD and
back (or vice versa, depending on which one was active at startup) while
in a VC, the VC goes mad. This means it has some odd lines & pixels and
the text is kind of duplicated.

In addition to that, there are still the simultaneous CRT + LCD display
and MPEG problems you mentioned. (Surprisingly, DVDs work for me using
xine and vlc.)

I agree with you and Tim that IBM and S3 should be more cooperative and
at least provide information if they don't provide a driver themselves.
BTW Tim, thanks for the great work - regarding what you had and what you
made of it!

According to the technical specs for the ThinkPad T series at
http://www.pc.ibm.com/us/thinkpad/library.html, all of the T22 models
also has the Savage IX8+ chip like most of the T21. Thus IBM should have
some interest in a full-functioning driver for Linux , IMHO.

Keith, did you follow this thread? (In case you didn't, I've put you on
cc: to catch your attention.) Could you drop a few words regarding this
topic? I think we'd appreciate it ... ;-)

TIA,
Markus