[ltp] T21 Savage driver issues (Was: T21 -- RH 7.1 no MPEGs with xmms)

D. Sen linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Tue, 08 May 2001 15:55:37 -0400

Markus Alt wrote:

> "D. Sen" wrote:
> >
> > Hmm Markus,
> >
> > Switching between X and VCs (running FB) seems to be much better with the
> > latest
> > BIOS.
>
> Sorry, but upgrading to the latest BIOS version 1.5 (KZET23WW) didn't
> help - at least for me. :-( I still have the same weird behaviour as
> before:
>
> - VC screen is blank when switching back from X in case the screen
> expansion <Fn><F8> was turned on at boot time. (The problem Friedemann
> had.)
>
> - When booting with "<mykernelname> vga=792" or "<mykernelname>
> vga=795", i.e. a 1024x768 or 1280x1024 FB console and an external
> monitor attached, all looks ok. But after switching from CRT to LCD and
> back (or vice versa, depending on which one was active at startup) while
> in a VC, the VC goes mad. This means it has some odd lines & pixels and
> the text is kind of duplicated.

I use vga=0x33b (1400x1050x8bits). Switching between VTs and X has been
working since I switched BIOSes. I can also get out of X and back to a VT.
With or without an external monitor.

> In addition to that, there are still the simultaneous CRT + LCD display
> and MPEG problems you mentioned. (Surprisingly, DVDs work for me using
> xine and vlc.)
>
> I agree with you and Tim that IBM and S3 should be more cooperative and
> at least provide information if they don't provide a driver themselves.
> BTW Tim, thanks for the great work - regarding what you had and what you
> made of it!
>
> According to the technical specs for the ThinkPad T series at
> http://www.pc.ibm.com/us/thinkpad/library.html, all of the T22 models
> also has the Savage IX8+ chip like most of the T21. Thus IBM should have
> some interest in a full-functioning driver for Linux , IMHO.
>
> Keith, did you follow this thread? (In case you didn't, I've put you on
> cc: to catch your attention.) Could you drop a few words regarding this
> topic? I think we'd appreciate it ... ;-)
>
> TIA,
> Markus

D. Sen, Room E167
AT&T Labs-Research