ReiserFS (was: Re: Re: [ltp] Recomendations on the "best"

Markus Alt linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Tue, 08 May 2001 22:00:05 +0200

Tino Keitel wrote:

> > manufacturer of this card). Also, I believe it is not possible to
> > specify Reisser FS (which seems to many advantages over ext2fs from what
> > I've heard) as a file system when doing a standard Debian Potato
> > installation.
>
> BTW, any ReiserFS-on-ThinkPad users out there? I tried it and it seems like
> ReiserFS flushes its journaling data every 30 seconds directly to the disk,
> bypassing the Linux write cache. That means that the disk will spin up if
> it's down. I use noflushd and with ext2 fs the hard disk goes down for ours
> if nothing has to be read from disk. So I think ReiserFS is useless for
> someone who needs long battery uptimes. Or am I doing something wrong?

I've been using ReiserFS on most of my logical volumes for quite a while
now, also with my last machine. But I have to admit that I've never
thought about that so far. And you're right, there is some regular disk
activity.

OTOH, I still get 2.5 to 3 hours when running on batteries on my T21,
with no modifications regarding CPU clock speed and such. For me that's
sufficient and long battery uptime is not my primary demand anyway. The
other advantages of ReiserFS like fast restart in case of a crash and
quick access to small files outweigh this "shortcoming". Just my 2
Pfennig ...

Markus