[ltp] kapm-idled

Vivek Dasmohapatra linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Thu, 10 May 2001 00:55:58 +0100 (BST)

On Thu, 10 May 2001, Nils Smeds wrote:

> I am not sure why CONFIG_APM_CPU_IDLE is needed, but it seems to always be
> on the list of options to use for thinkpads so I have always used it. How
> many are there out there that have their thinkpads without it, and what models
> and do they have suspend/hibernate/whatever work fine for them?

I have an A20p, and I leave it out under both 2.2.x and 2.4.x - suspend
works fine, hibernate doesn't because I've never booted the thing into
windows and nobody seems to know the exact black magic incantation to make
a hibernate partition w/o the windows based tool.

Here's my PM config:

CONFIG_PM=y
# CONFIG_ACPI is not set
CONFIG_APM=y
# CONFIG_APM_IGNORE_USER_SUSPEND is not set
# CONFIG_APM_DO_ENABLE is not set
# CONFIG_APM_CPU_IDLE is not set
# CONFIG_APM_DISPLAY_BLANK is not set
CONFIG_APM_RTC_IS_GMT=y
# CONFIG_APM_ALLOW_INTS is not set
CONFIG_APM_REAL_MODE_POWER_OFF=y

The major power saving comes from the thinkpad slowing down when it
detects that it is no longer on AC, plus spinning the disk down if you
have that set [I don't, and with the standard battery I got nearly 6
hours out of the TP doing light editing work in emacs once [I had
forgoten to turn the thing on at the wall, d'oh]]:

You can control the CPU AC/DC throttling from the BIOS or via
tpctl/ntpctl.

If I understand it correctly, CONFIG_APM_CPU_IDLE SHould have no effect
whatsoever on suspend-ability.

--
In German "invent-a-new-word-where-a-perfectly-good-one-already-exists"
is probably a word. - Peter da Silva - a.s.r