[ltp] sleeping pcmcia and hanging X

Dean Hedin linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Thu, 10 May 2001 22:16:30 -0400

> Hello, I've recently begun the process of trying to install Linux on my
> tp600x. Under redhat 7.1 (+ updates)...
> More discouraging
> though, is that I have seemingly random lockups under X. KDE or Gnome, it
> doesn't seem to matter. It has occurred in KMail, as well as various
> control panels. When this happens it locks up badly. I can telnet into the
> machine, but killing X related processes only leaves the screen blank. I
> must shutdown and do a cold restart, apparently to reset the video
> hardware.

OK,  Sounds like the problems I was having with RH on my 600e.
Check your bogomips and make sure you machine is not running
at a slow speed (i.e power saving 75 mhz).  You can check this in
KDE by going into the control panel under Information, Cpu.

Under this condition I was having all sorts of problems with KDE locking up.
Usually it would lock up when I was sliding a scroll bar in the file manager,
when a tool tip poped up, or when a windows focus change occured.
Sometimes I would have a mouse pointer that would move, but
nothing would respond to clicks (and I could abort out of X with
crtl-alt-bkspce)  Other times total lockups.

I was pulling my hair out because I assumed that it was related to the
external mouse I was using.   I finally installed Thomas Hood's excellent
tpctl utility and got the machine running full speed and all the problems
went away.

Hope this helps