[ltp] sleeping pcmcia and hanging X

Neil Jerram linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
11 May 2001 08:34:27 +0100

    >> Hello, I've recently begun the process of trying to install
    >> Linux on my tp600x. Under redhat 7.1 (+ updates)...  More
    >> discouraging though, is that I have seemingly random lockups
    >> under X. KDE or Gnome, it doesn't seem to matter. It has
    >> occurred in KMail, as well as various control panels. When this
    >> happens it locks up badly. I can telnet into the machine, but
    >> killing X related processes only leaves the screen blank. I
    >> must shutdown and do a cold restart, apparently to reset the
    >> video hardware.

Aha!  This sounds very like the problems that I keep getting too.

    Dean> OK, Sounds like the problems I was having with RH on my
    Dean> 600e.  Check your bogomips and make sure you machine is not
    Dean> running at a slow speed (i.e power saving 75 mhz).  You can
    Dean> check this in KDE by going into the control panel under
    Dean> Information, Cpu.

I have kernel 2.2.18, Debian, and Gnome.  /proc/cpuinfo and tpctl --ip
say

laruns:~# cat /proc/cpuinfo
processor	: 0
vendor_id	: GenuineIntel
cpu family	: 6
model		: 8
model name	: Pentium III (Coppermine)
stepping	: 6
cpu MHz		: 208.790
cache size	: 256 KB
fdiv_bug	: no
hlt_bug		: no
sep_bug		: no
f00f_bug	: no
coma_bug	: no
fpu		: yes
fpu_exception	: yes
cpuid level	: 2
wp		: yes
flags		: fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 mmx fxsr xmm
bogomips	: 430.89

laruns:~# tpctl --ip
information about processor:
   CPU manufacturer:                    Intel
   microprocessor type:                 6
   microprocessor stepping level:       134
   CPU clock:                           100 MHz
   internal clock:                      253 MHz

This certainly looks like a mismatch in clock speeds - is this the
signature of the problem that you describe?

If so, what is the fix?  I couldn't find any tpctl options for
controlling CPU speed.

Many thanks!

        Neil