[ltp] Solaris X86 8? on a Thinkpad a21p?/vmware 1.x

Michael Selway linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Fri, 11 May 2001 11:14:12 +0100

Robert Nicholson writes:
 > Anybody know if the Solaris X86 supports the hardware in the Thinkpads?

I asked this question a year or more ago, and I did a little
research.  My conclusion was that even if I could get Solaris 8
running, there was very little chance that I'd be able to get
X-Windows and pcmcia support working.  Someone very sensibly
suggested running it under vmware.

And on that subject, I'm a fully paid-up vmware version 1 user,
but I'm now running kernel 2.4 and the vmware kernel driver won't
build any more.  VMware are being very unhelpful.  I think they
want me to buy a full-price vmware 2 licence - no option to
upgrade my existing licence - which is unreasonable.

Anyone else in this position?  What can I do?  www.plex86.org
looks interesting but not there yet.

Michael.