[ltp] T-20 LCD go out?

Sat, 12 May 2001 00:03:05 -0400

In <Pine.SOL.4.21.0105111436520.11119-100000@laffytaffy.cs.umd.edu>, on
05/11/01
   at 02:40 PM, Bill Arbaugh <waa@cs.umd.edu> said:

>[Has anyone had a T-20 LCD go almost completely dark?  I turned on my
>[machine this morning and I can barely (if it all) see the display.  The
>[brightness control does nothing.  Fortunately, I can still hook a
>[monitor up and get a display so the video card is still good.  I'm
>[pretty sure it's hardware, but I thought I'd ask just in case.

If still under warranty, just call 1-800-IBM-SERV (in the US) and request
a repair. They will ship you a box to return the unit for service. Then
they will ship it back to you repaired; turn-around was/is 48-72 hours,
but earlier this year they had a problem with LCD panel stocks. Make sure
you check on the turn-around and confirm. This process is pretty painless.

At my former place of employment, we saw this on a number of units. All
were replaced under warranty. I would remove the HDD just to be on the
safe side. Even if you state on the return checklist to NOT reformat the
HDD, it can happen. Also be very deliberate with the CSR; if you have
already performed the standard troubleshooting explain that clearly. This
can save you some time. They will be very unsure about Linux so don't
mention it; it only confuses most people; this is similar to problems I
have had with OS/2.

Video output via external means and a very dim or nearly dark LCD is a
failure of either the panel or the sub-system; most likely a bad panel.
Either are covered under warranty as long as you have not been playing
Frisbee with the unit.

IBM's support site has a link to confirm warranty information. Out of
Warranty repairs are (were) capped at something like $1054.00 US, not
including tax, handling. In other words, it can't be higher than that for
any and all work on the laptop. LCD panels had been around $900, if memory
serves.

We also had a number of users that like to bounce their T-20/T-21. Never
understood why <vbg>. Hope that helps.

ThankYouKindly!

Willard E. Fullam III