[ltp] Recomendations on the "best" distribution for TP

Gerald linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Sat, 12 May 2001 14:20:14 +0000

Vivek Dasmohapatra wrote:

> On 7 May 2001, Forrest English wrote:
>
> > this is basicaly going to turn into a distro war.   to my knowledge, all
>
> Not necessarily. All that was requested was our recommendations, as long
> as nobody starts taking things personally, or sniping, we should be
> perfectly capable of holding a civilised discussion. For the record, I'd
> suggest debian - the package management/general quality is superb, and
> staying current is trivially easy thanks to apt.
>
> --
> To err is human, To purr feline. -- Robert Byrne

In addition to that (I know this thread is old)  that people have mixed
feelings on distros too.

I love Debian, Debian also does not have an install that I want to work with
(I want a 2.4.x kernal and 4.0.2+ X server, with Gnome 1.4+ and KDE2.x+. If I
want to spend alot of time updating packages I might as well stick with
Slackware 7.1

I loved how Mandrake 7.2 installed on my TP600. Mandrake 8.0 is what I really
wanted because of {see Debian lackings}, but it can't deal with the mouse
install on a TP600.

So, in my brain, all this distros are good, and all these distros are bad.
Depends on your issues and equipment :-)
It's not a war, it's a tradeoff contest.