[ltp] sleeping pcmcia and hanging X

Dean Hedin linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Sat, 12 May 2001 22:12:25 -0400

> This is exciting news to me! Except that I'm not sure that's my problem.
> The symptoms are the same as you describe, and I can reproduce the lockup
> just by running (in KDE) kpackage, and scrolling the vertical scrollbar up
> and down a few times.

In general, I find that I may get an infrequent KDE lock up like you describe
(even now after having resolved the speed issue with tpctl).  It happens to me
maybe once or twice a week,  not too bad considering that I am coding under
linux 8-9 hours a day.   The problem was much worse when I was at 75 mhz.

I believe the error has something to do with sliding a scroll bar on a tree view
control while the tree view is in the proccess of updating.  Try opening
kpackage
but wait for it to finish updating the tree view before sliding the scroll bar.

I am not sure what causes this but it appears to occur only on my laptop.  I
have
installed RH and Mandrake on quite a large variety of motherboards at work
and I have not seen it happen.  I have tried various tweeks in my XFConfig-4
file
(like enabling/disabling acceleration, hardware/software cursor,  gpm/no gpm
etc...) all to no avail.

Maybe it's a bug in the Neomagic driver?
Anyone else out there experience this issue?

> My machine appears to be running full speed, but I
> went into the ThinkPad Configuration control panel (under Windows) and
> under Power Options Properties/Advanced Settings disabled CPU Power
> Management. Still happens. :-(
> Is this not the setting you are talking about?

I am not sure about Windows, I used T. Hood's tpctl program
The tpctl command I used was --pm-mode-AC=high