[ltp] modem on 770X RH7.1

Wed, 16 May 2001 16:40:36 -0700

--0__=e8hDA3g9VwcR1edyJHZ0A6L9SsSwnupeC0e9zlFRK51JKxYIxYVuD4qc

Luis,
Thanks for the reply. Im finally getting aroud to testing this again.

I did follow the compile method. First, where did you untar the files to? I put
them in the /usr/src/linux/mwavem-20010315 directory.
That seemed to let the compile work correctly.

The docs say there will be a RH compatible install script in
/etc/rc.d/init.d/mwaved. It wasn't there but there was such a file in the
/usr/src/linux/mwavem-20010315 directory. So I ran mwaved start and it fails
when trying to load the kernal module.

I tried following the manual method using modprobe but that failed as well.

I don't think my modules are in the right place but I don't know where to put
them or how.

Still a newbie,
Scott

|--------+-------------------------------->
|        |          Luis Antol
--0__=e8hDA3g9VwcR1edyJHZ0A6L9SsSwnupeC0e9zlFRK51JKxYIxYVuD4qc

=EDn Cano     |
|        |          <lantolin@yahoo.com>  |
|        |          Sent by:              |
|        |          owner-linux-thinkpad@b|
|        |          m-soft.com            |
|        |                                |
|        |                                |
|        |          05/10/2001 02:37 AM   |
|        |          Please respond to     |
|        |          linux-thinkpad        |
|        |                                |
|--------+-------------------------------->

--------|

> So this question is re: the Modem. I found my way to IBMs MWave drive=
rs and
> downloaded them. The docs make reference to and RPM but I never found=
 it so I
> went the source install route.

It was exactly the same for me, so I will try to help.
I think that the docs from IBM are not updated to reflect
their new driver.

All the RPM stuff does not aply to the latest driver, it
is only for previous (non GPL) versions, so forget it
if you want the latest.

You must follow the instructions that talk about source
code.

> I followed the docs all the way to insmod mwavedd or modprobe mwavedd=
. I tried
> both and both said they couldn't find the module. Any ideas?

Did you compiled first?

You must untar the latest package and follow the instructions
in the documentation about compiling. You will need also
to have installed the kernel source. I'm not sure but I
think that having installed kernel headers would not be enough.

When the compilation finishes you will have the module ready
to install.

Good luck. Dont doubt to ask more if you get stuck in some point.

     /Luis.

Thanks in advance,
Scott

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

                    LuIs.

=

--0__=e8hDA3g9VwcR1edyJHZ0A6L9SsSwnupeC0e9zlFRK51JKxYIxYVuD4qc--