[ltp] Linux (SuSE 7.1) on IBM Thinkpad 600x?

John Morris linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Mon, 21 May 2001 17:41:56 -0500 (CDT)

On Tue, 22 May 2001, Boyan wrote:

> Hello,
>
> These days I am faced with a tough question: Is it safe for me to install
> linux (SuSE 7.1) on my new thinkpad 600x?

Haven't heard of any distros running sensors-detect automatically.  I put
RedHat 7.1 beta on mine with no problems.... then ran sensors-detect
(wasn't on this list yet) and kaboom.  Thankfully it is possible to mostly
recover from the situation even if it does happen.  Just put the Thinkpad
Hardware Maint. Disk in the drive and turn the unit on.  On my 570E I
never could get all of the digits in the serial number to show again on
the BIOS screen, but the the warnings and other nastiness went away so
it's fixed as far as I'm concerned.

btw, if you get into trouble and can't find the disk on IBM's ftp site,
holler.

--
John M.      http://www.beau.org/~jmorris        This post is 100% M$ Free!
Geek code 3.0:GCS C+++ UL++++$ P++ L+++ W++ N++ w--- Y+ 5+++ R tv- b++ e* r