[ltp] DVD/CD trouble, and my experience with IBM tech support

Tom Grydeland linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Tue, 22 May 2001 16:06:20 +0200 (MET DST)

On Mon, 21 May 2001, Dean Hedin wrote:

> >     The problem I experienced was that reading large files from a mounted
> >     CD would sooner or later run into a wall, the DVD player obtaining data
> >     only *very* slowly, and with the drive "grinding" incessantly --
> >     bzzt, bzzt, pause, repeat.
>
> Just an FYI,  This is the symtom that I get when the CD is bad/poor quality.
> Hoping you can repeat the problem with another/different type of CD.
>
> These laptop CD/DVD units seem to be sensitive.  I've had CDR's that I could
> read just fine in my desktop machine and would not read reliably on my 600e.

Just a few followup questions on that:

 o what happens for the CDs you can't "read reliably"?
   - can you mount them?
   - can you read *any* data off of them?
   - for the data you *can* read properly, do you have any problems?
   - when you get into "grinding", do you get any data at all?
    + if so, is this data correct?
 o what CDs can you read?

Thanks,

--
//Tom Grydeland <Tom.Grydeland@phys.uit.no>

	"you cannot perceive beauty but with a serene mind." -- H. D. Thoreau