[ltp] DVD/CD trouble, and my experience with IBM tech support

Chris Lamothe linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Tue, 22 May 2001 22:22:28 -0400

Yeah, I do tech support and I can attest to what he's saying, cheap CDs are
at fault for half the dispatches we make for replacing CD drives.

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-linux-thinkpad@bm-soft.com
[mailto:owner-linux-thinkpad@bm-soft.com]On Behalf Of Dean Hedin
Sent: Tuesday, May 22, 2001 20:41
To: linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Subject: Re: [ltp] DVD/CD trouble, and my experience with IBM tech
support

 > Just a few followup questions on that:
>
>  o what happens for the CDs you can't "read reliably"?
>    - can you mount them?
>    - can you read *any* data off of them?
>    - for the data you *can* read properly, do you have any problems?
>    - when you get into "grinding", do you get any data at all?
>     + if so, is this data correct?
>  o what CDs can you read?
>
> Thanks,

Let me tell you what happened,  At work, some time ago, I downloaded
*.iso images  for RH  and I burnt them onto those cheap silver/blue
"house brand" CD's.   We were evaluating linux on various uATX motherboards
so I was loading it onto alot of systems.  I then decided to "take the
plunge"
and install it on my thinkpad.  I started the install and walked away for a
half
an hour, came back and noticed the install was estimating that it would take
several hours to complete.  I did'nt think that was right, so I watched for
while
and I noticed the symptoms you describe (grinding like zzzzt ,zzzzt).  The
progress
bar for the current rpm that the install was exploding was not moving.
Eventually the
install failed.  These very same CD's worked just fine on the desktop
systems
(even after this episode)

A first I thought there might have been some sort of incompatibility with
the
linux
CDROM driver and the DVD/CD in the thinkpad.   After several frustrating
re-attempts, I finally wised up and reburnt on high quality Sony CDs.  After
that the install took about 25 minutes without a hitch.