[ltp] a21p hibernate under Linux

Markus Alt linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Sun, 27 May 2001 22:45:34 +0200

Dong Liu wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have installed both win2k and Linux on my thinkpad A21p. It can
> hibernate under win2k, but how can I make it hibernate under Linux?
> The win2k is on a fat32 partition. I have an older thinkpad 600E
> which also has win2k and linux installed. All I did on the 600E
> was type "ps2 HFILE C" under win2k, then I can hibernate under Linux
> too. But "ps2" under a21p doesn't under standard "HFILE" command. Does
> that mean the a21p doesn't support BIOS hibernate?

This has been asked on an IBM internal mailing list a few weeks ago, so
here's what I replied then:

There's no black magic incantation and you don't need to boot into
windows to enable hibernation. Instead there's a thing called
"Hibernation Utility Diskette II for Standalone Boot" which supports the
A, T and X series. You will be able to get it from support section of
the ThinkPad page at http://www.pc.ibm.com/thinkpad. Select your model
and search for the term "hibernation".

When booting from that diskette, you can create the hibernation file on
a previously created DOS partition (read the description for details).
The latter should be a primary partition, IIRC, which is slightly larger
than your RAM size.

This worked like a charm on my T21 and I hibernate almost each and every
day when carrying the machine home from the office. BTW, I also have
Win@%$! 2000 on my machine, but booting into that one and enabling
hibernation wouldn't have helped me for Linux, as 2k uses ACPI and
creates the hibernation file on the same (NTFS) partition. That's why I
searched for and found that diskette mentioned above.

BTW, something similar should be in the archives of this list, I guess.

HTH,
Markus