[ltp] Getting sound to work with ALSA on Thinkpad 600 using redhat 7.1

29 May 2001 13:14:54 -0000

Hello, first of all i wan't to say i'm quite new to linux, take that in
consideration when you answer ;).

I have installed RedHat 7.1 with the 2.4.2 kernel on my Thinkpad 600, but the
sound doesn't work.

Anyway this is what i did to make it work (without success)

first i downloaded tye tarballs alsa-driver-0.5.11, alsa-lib-05.10b and alsa-
utils-0.5.10.

Then i've installed ALSA like this (as root).

In the alsa-driver-0.5.11 i did the following

./configure --with-isapnp=yes --debug=full
make install
./snddevices

And in the alsa-lib and utils i did this

./configure
make install

The installation seemed to work great, no problems there, except that ALSA
wanted a directory named linux instead of linux-2.4.2, so i've renamed the
directory during installation and then renamed it back.

Then i putted the following in the /etc/modules.conf

alias char-major-116 snd
alias snd-card-0 snd-card-cs4232
alias sound-slot-0 snd-card-0
alias sound-service-0-0 snd-mixer-oss
alias sound-service-0-3 snd-pcm1-oss
alias sound-service-0-12 snd-pcm1-oss
options snd snd_major=116 snd_cards_limit=1 snd_device_mode=0666
snd_device_alias sound snd-card-cs4236
options snd-card-cs4236 snd_port=0x530 snd_cport=0x538 snd_mpu_port=-1 snd_f

And finally i activated the sound server and reboot.

The ERROR MESSAGE i get when i'm shutting down is that linux can't find the
cs423x device and the is saying it can be invalid IRQ parameters or imode or
something (it all flashes by very quickly so i can't be specific) maybe the
error messages get logged in a file or something, i dunno?!

Greatful for answers
/Jocke

--
Get your firstname@lastname email for FREE at http://Nameplanet.com/?su