[ltp] please help: redhat 7.1 on TP 600X

Ted Lin linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Tue, 29 May 2001 13:11:06 -0700

In my case, I stopped running KDE applications. I really don't like that
option, but scrolling a tree view control  locks it up every time. My cpu
is running full speed (unfortunately for me, that didn't seem to be the
problem). My pointer continues to be responsive but the system is
completely locked, requiring a power cycle.

I was willing to live with this, but now I've discovered that Emacs (not
Xemacs, which is fine) will lock up my system when I drag my mouse across
the cascading menus.

I mention this in the hopes that someone far knowledgeable than myself gain
additional insight from this info and can suggest a solution.

Thanks,

-ted

RH 7.1, TP 600x.

At 08:03 AM 5/29/2001 +0200, you wrote:
>Hi!
>
>I had lots of troubles running X11 on my A20p.
>At some time Windows won't be clickable any more, X freezes and sometimes
>the whole box freezes.
>A kind soul on this list suggested checking the cpu speed (!) (cat
>/pro/cpuinfo) and indeed,
>whenever I had problems the cpu was running with reduced speed.
>I changed the bios setting to always use the same speed 2 weeks ago and
>until then
>not a single freeze!
>
>Many thnaks to the list!
>Maybe thats your problem, too?
>
>Na-Rae Han wrote:
>
> > Hello all,
> >
> > I just installed Redhat 7.1 on my thinkpad 600X (without lm_sensors:
> > thanks for the warnings!).
> > Installation went smoothly, and KDE seems to work fine for a couple
> > minutes after bootup until:
> >
> > the mouse pointer freezes: it moves around all right, but it just
> > doesn't work (relogin helps in this case)
> > or the keyboard or even the entire system hangs, so only powering off is
> > the only way out
> >
> > I installed the bugfix patches for Xconfigurator and mouseconfig from
> > the redhat site. I also tried disabling pgm, but  still having the same
> > problem.  I checked the /proc/interrupts file, and this is what I get:
> >
> >            CPU0
> >   0:      63311          XT-PIC  timer

blah blah blah...