[ltp] please help: redhat 7.1 on TP 600X

James Hawtin linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Wed, 30 May 2001 02:03:36 +0000 (GMT)

On Wed, 30 May 2001 marcus.giles@deltagold.com.au wrote:

> Gnome seems safer, more stable but with less features and kewl stuff.
> Some people like it that way.. like one the few Perth based RHCE's I know.. he
> likes the functionality and the stability, but thats no good for us guys trying
> to use Mandrake as the Methadone for our horrid windows habits...
>
> Marcus
>

> "ROOT, DAN" <DANROO@SAFECO.com> on 30/05/2001 04:25:18 AM
>
> Please respond to linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
>
> To:   "'linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com'" <linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com>
> cc:    (bcc: Marcus Giles/DeltaGold)
>
> Subject:  RE: [ltp] please help: redhat 7.1 on TP 600X
>

> Is gnome really that much better than KDE?   I am running RH 7.0 and did not
> even bother to load Gnome as I was used to KDE.  What is the difference?
>
> -Dan

What the difference? The window manager looks different, you can run kde
apps under "gnome" and gnome apps under "kde" personally I don't like
either an run my own hacked up version of vtwm, with some applications
from each. I dislike icon bars (waste of pixels IMHO) and icons on my
background is annoying, one or two drag  n drop sites perhaps... but I
fail to understand what is so great about them, a good menu is enough...
Mine has xterm and quit on it ;-) I guess I am just a shell kind of
guy, My nicest trick is I have a load of keyboard short cuts in my window
manager, like typing x anywhere on my background gets an xterm...

While I am Boring people (sorry I didn't mean to rant) my biggest
objection to menus is, most commands work best if you start them with
command line arguments. such as emacs /etc/password rather then firing it
up then having to navigate to load the file....

The important thing is X means you don't have to "pick". There are
some problems with drag n drop between kde and gnome apps but I believe
they are working on intercompatibility.

A need trick with emacs is if you start it then do M-x server-start or
put (server-start) in your .emacs you can use emacsclient to load new
files into your exisiting emacs session.

I then use this alias in my shell (bash).

e()             { emacsclient -n $1; }

James