[ltp] removing power of sleeping 770Z

Rob Mayoff linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
30 May 2001 16:24:33 -0500

> > I discovered this today and perhaps some others will find it useful:
> >
> > My 770Z was sleeping on AC power with no battery.  I disconnected the
>
> You have a 770Z working in sleep?  How?  This is something I haven't
> managed to do.  When ever I attempt anything like that, X locks up, and
> after more than about 30 seconds of sleep, the kernel will lock up to
> with a console message about "unanticipated APM event" or some such
> (sorry, it's been a while since I've seen it).

When I first got the 770Z, I had problems with X breaking if I put it to
sleep. Switching to a non-graphics VT (Ctrl-Alt-F1) was a workaround.
Then someone on this list (I don't remember who) said something about
the framebuffer console fixing the problem. So I enabled framebuffer
console support in the kernel and put "vga=775" in /etc/lilo.conf. That
fixed the problem. I didn't have to switch to the framebuffer-based
X server; just enabling the FB console was enough. Mode 775 is for a
1280x1024 screen; I don't remember the mode for the 1024x768 screen. A
bonus of using mode 775 is that you get a 160x64-character console mode
instead of 80x25.

When I switched to Redhat 7.1 with XFree86 4, I had no problems with
X.  I think XFree86 4 handles the Trident 9397DVD chipset better than
version 3.3 did.  I enabled the framebuffer console anyway to get the
higher resolution console.

I have had no problems with APM. You might try playing with your kernel
APM configuration. I don't recall what I set mine to when I was running
a 2.2 kernel. With 2.4, I have "Ignore USER SUSPEND" and "Use real mode
APM BIOS call to power off" set to "N" and all other APM options set to
"Y".