[ltp] Cable connecting with Windows

James Hawtin linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Thu, 31 May 2001 20:33:20 +0000 (GMT)

On Thu, 31 May 2001, ROOT, DAN wrote:

> I am just starting to look through the archives for something on this so I
> thought I would post a question:
>
> Is there a program that will allow a Windows OS and a Linux OS to connect
> via a cable?  I have a cable that I used for laplink and direct cable
> connect from one Windows OS to another.

How I have done this before is by getting a null modem serial cable, then
you can run a pppd server daemon on the linux box and make your windows
box "dial it up", ie no dialing just goes straight into a ppp session....

Its pretty easy to setup, start by using hyperterminal to connect to the
unix box, and get a login prompt and login... then change the shell on the
unix box to a pppd setup.... then get the windows dialup to use the serial
connection.... if thats to complex I suggest you download kernel, again
get a serial connection with login, but this time use kermit to connect,
when you want to transfer you can run a kermit on the unix box....

You can do both of these over parallel as well, I just have never done
that.

Personally I think the easiest way to get computers to talk is use network
cards... 10T hubs and cards are dead cheap 10 base 2 you don't even need
a hub! Speak to the right people and they will just give you them....!
When ever I want to transfer lots of data, ie more than a few floppy disks
I normally just stick a network card in the machine.... Its faster to use
and faster to setup.

James